Thursday, October 30, 2008

My readers have spoken on the issue of leaf blowers

I asked my readers to give me their thoughts on the use of leaf blowers.  Out of the five responses I received, 2 were in favor of eliminating them altogether, and 3 voted in favor of using them in moderation.  If you include my vote for elimination, we have a TIE.

I'm usually all for moderation, but if you consider that leaf blowers are part of the bigger picture of our total gasoline consumption, and then you see how difficult it is to make gas cuts in other areas of our lives, then the elimination of leaf blowers seems like a good place to start.  I think most people would find it easier to cut out leaf blowing than to try to take a bus or ride a bike to work.  And I can't say that the gasoline saved would be equivalent, because obviously leaf blowers use less gas than cars.  This also seems like one of those issues where those worried about our dependency on foreign oil and those concerned about the environment can actually agree.

I think any efforts at conservation are going to be uncomfortable, but this one doesn't seem incredibly painful.  Leaf blowers gained widespread popularity in the 70's.  Interestingly, it seems that Los Angeles was one of the first areas to encourage the use of leaf blowers because businesses and homeowners were using hoses to spray leaves off sidewalks and driveways, and at that time California was experiencing a drought, so leaf blowers were thought to be a way to save water.  Now California is leading the way in banning leaf blowers, and many states are considering bans as well.  One of the difficulties California is facing is actually enforcing the ban. 

Thanks to my readers who commented on this issue.  I appreciate the feedback!  


3 comments:

Dr. Frost said...

It puzzles me that people need to exercise but don't want to do activities that both give them exercise and perform useful tasks around the house. What could be a better upper body workout than a nice little leaf raking session? I think there was a presumption that technology would create time saving devices to provide for more leisure time and a better life, and so, voila, the leaf blower was created. Now we are realizing that spending time doing the work ourselves may be both energizing and environmentally conscious, and thus contribute to a quality of life!

Anonymous said...

How about limited leaf blower usage for the elderly or those who are physically impaired? Otherwise they may have to hire a landscaper to come over in his big diesel truck to sweep up the leaves for them. But then again that would provide work for landscapers who need employment. Such a vicious cycle...

Energy4tomorrow said...

RESPONSE TO LESLIE:

Thanks for your comment. Looks like you're the tiebreaker! You make a very good point, and one that I hadn't even considered in terms of the health benefits associated with exercise.

RESPONSE TO DJB:

You are ever so correct in pointing out the connection between energy and jobs, and it is one that bears consideration. I do not want to eliminate anyone's job, but my thought is, landscapers could just put the same amount of time into raking leaves as they previously put into blowing leaves. It may not be as efficient, but no one would lose a job, and at least a dent could be made in leaf gathering for those who consider it necessary.

I also completely agree that in any case where the elimination of leaf blowers would endanger someone's health, I would never be in favor of doing so.

Thanks again for commenting and keeping the discussion going!