Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post Election Reflection

Now that I've come down a bit from my euphoria, I just wanted to take a minute to share my impressions about the post-election speeches.  

I thought McCain's concession speech was delivered in a respectful, gracious, and appropriate manner.  It showed great strength of character and integrity on his part.  More than anything, I think his true love for his country was evident.  I believe him when he says that he hopes both sides can come together, and I applaud his efforts to encourage his supporters to do the same.  It cannot be easy to deliver a concession speech and in my opinion, he did it well.

It is obvious from my earlier posts that I was hoping for an Obama victory, and in my aforementioned euphoria, I was not able to contain my excitement.  I am not sure I can be completely unbiased in my assessment of his speech, but I will try.  I hate to give a disclaimer, but I feel like I need to.  I was very impressed with Obama's speech overall.  I particularly appreciated his reserved and serious manner.  In my opinion, he spent an appropriate amount of time noting the momentousness of the occasion, and did not dwell on any sort of celebration of victory.  He moved fairly quickly to a discussion about the seriousness of the challenges our country is facing, and also issued a call to action for all citizens to join in and work toward solutions.  

Today on the news, I heard the reports about the transition teams, some of Obama's staff picks, and information regarding the scheduling of meetings with President Bush.  It's kind of hard to believe after the long, hard campaign, that things are already moving this quickly.  The real action is just beginning.  I heard the issue of energy mentioned on the short list of concerns that Obama plans to address right away.  I'll definitely be paying attention as will millions of others here in the United States, and around the world. 

2 comments:

ClaireConklin said...

I agree with you that John McCain's speech was very respectful and nice. I thought that Obama's speech was great too, and again, I am excited about this true victory! He has done well!

Energy4tomorrow said...

Response to Abby B:

Thanks for your comment. Now that Obama is in office it will be interesting to see how effective he will be as President. I've been impressed with his staff appointments. I don't necessarily approve of all of them, but I think that's a good thing. I think it's a sign that he will live up to his commitment to bring change and not run a straight party platform government. It was nice to get a comment on my blog, as I had not done a posting since the election. This blog was originally a school project that was completed - but if I continue to have followers and comments, maybe it will inspire me to keep blogging. I'll be sure to check out your blog soon.